Thursday, April 26, 2012

I'm Getting Published!

Yes, it's true. I'm getting published. Well, maybe I should amend that. My romance writing, outspoken, bossy alter ego is getting published.

Recently I was perusing through some publishing websites to see what they were looking for, if anything. (Okay, fine. I was supposed to be doing research for school but I was procrastinating.) Anyway, I found a reputable e-publisher (they do print as well, but are very well known for their e-books) who had an open call for submission for a short story anthology. There were a few requirements listed within the call. First of all, this particular publisher only deals in romance - some of which is definitely adult only content. The story had to involve some type of online/computer/social media element, and had to meet word count parameters along with a few other requirements. Also, space for this particular anthology was limited. I thought about it for a few days and started working out a story idea in my head. I didn't think I'd actually submit it, but I thought something like that could be fun to write. Let's face it - I like to read in a number of genres, including romance and it's sub-genres, (50 Shades, anyone?) but I don't write romance. I write short, dark, twisted, and depraved stories about death and revenge. But I digress.

I finished writing the story and asked a classmate of mine (who happens to be a genius editor) to work her editing magic on it. After I made the necessary changes, I put together the required submission packet including the synopsis and query letter. I felt a sense of relief (along with abject terror) when I hit the "send" button. A few days later, I got a huge surprise - an email stating that they are going to publish it. I was shocked. Then the publisher sent me my first book contract (I'm going to earn royalties!), which I signed and promptly sent back, all the while doing the happy dance. My alter ego is also ecstatic, and she is already working on a novel which she plans to submit to the publisher - another romance. (Did I mention she also has a one-track mind?)

It has been less than a year since I quit my job to go back to school and pursue writing full time. There are days when I feel frazzled (actually that happens on any day that ends in "y"). There are times that I wake up in the middle of the night wondering what in the gay hell I'm thinking by pursuing my dream instead of working a "normal" job. But now I have a bit of something to show for my hard work - I'm finally going to be a published author. Ahem, my alter ego just punched me. SHE is the published author. Either way, it's a reason to celebrate. ;-) So get your e-reader ready!

4 comments:

  1. Soooo happy for you! Can't wait to read it -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am very happy for you, and since I'm on the very same journey, I'm glad to have you as a partner in crime...or shall I say romance. That doesn't sound right either, but you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did I mention I ONLY e-read books these days? Guess I am going to need to have you sign my iPad & I hope your alter ego keeps mentoring me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the lovely comments. I am, oops...I mean my alter ego is thinking the next project she's working on might turn into a romantic suspense. Maybe. I'm currently working on a twisted short story that I started writing a few weeks ago but forgot about. Too bad I have no idea where to submit the twisted stuff, as it is kind of dark.

    ReplyDelete