Friday, June 1, 2012

Summer Dreams?


So the past few months have been crazy busy, and the last few weeks I feel as if I have been running around like a chicken with its head cut off. School has been particularly brutal – I should have known better when two of my professors announced at the beginning of the quarter that their classes are structured more like graduate level classes instead of under grad classes. Keep in mind that I was also planning my (re) wedding during this time period – which luckily went off without a hitch on the appointed day. (Thanks to a bunch of help from my parents and other family members and friends – well except for I forgot to grab my flowers as my father walked me down the aisle to my waiting groom – a fact that I didn’t realize until much later in the evening. Oops.) The ceremony was beautiful, people at the reception seemed to have fun and we’re legally hitched again. Much better than the first time around. Whew. 

Anyway, I have been looking forward to having a nice, relaxing summer with my children. (Hey, a girl can dream, can’t she?) During the last few hectic months all I kept thinking was that things would calm down when summer finally arrived. Except it seems that’s not exactly the case. First of all, the hubby is going to be away for military training for two months. Secondly, I am taking classes this summer. (Including a week long intensive writers workshop.) Thirdly, I have been offered a position in the Writing Center at my institute of higher learning. (I tried telling the powers that be that I have no idea how to play well with others and I am not a patient person and I have no idea how to help other people become better writers but they did not believe me.) Plus I have been trying to keep up with a few different writing projects between folding laundry, tripping over Barbies, and cleaning out underneath the girls’ beds. (Seriously, how do they amass so much stuff under there? Where does it come from?)

Needless to say it looks like this crazy pace that I have barely been keeping up with is going to continue for a while….and of course I can’t forget about my alter ego. She has a separate blog, separate Twitter account, and her own FB account – and her bossy romance writing self can be extremely demanding, sometimes insisting that I drop everything I have going on to work on one of her projects. Hmmph. But since she is the one who’s getting published I guess I owe it to her, right?

I have figured out the only thing I can do is take things one day at a time. No one said the path to following your dreams was easy….I’m just thankful for my family and friends who have continued to help me on this journey (especially those who bring me wine.)

What about your summer plans? Anything exciting? 

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to working with you this summer in the library where the writing center is located, and during our week long intensive. I love looking at you with what i hope is an expressionless face (most likely has a huge reaction ALL OVER IT,) when someone is being wild and you know exactly what's up. Don't worry very few people enter the library, a sad but true fact. (I mean like step foot from tile in the hall to our lovely berber carpet--its a ghost town during the week fo'ril.) And I'm pretty sure most of them just want their papers to be free of basic errors, not looking to become 'better writers' like wanting to BE writers. Anyway you can just channel the other you, you know, the published one, when encountering a challenge. ^_^

    ReplyDelete