Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Planning, Schmlanning


I admit it. In most areas of my life I’m a planner. I like to plan our menus each week before I go to the grocery store. I always check the fridge and pantry to see what we have on hand and then make my list accordingly. I rarely deviate from my shopping list. (Unless it’s to buy an extra bottle of wine. Duh.) I also like to plan my daily activities, especially pertaining to the neverending task of housework.  I have a list that I follow regarding specific household duties. For example, the vacuuming and mopping get done on Tuesdays and Fridays. Bathrooms get cleaned on Tuesdays, I try to toss a load of laundry in every day, etc. Sheets get changed on Mondays. The cat litter gets cleaned out at least once a day. (Sometimes more, as the moment I clean it the cat jumps in and takes a massive dump, therefore causing me to scoop up yet more poop. I swear he does it on purpose just to fuck with me.) I plan the times that I do my school assignments and set reminders on my phone as to which assignment gets done on a particular date and time. I take a walk with the girls every night at 7pm and we always take the same route. Anyway, call it OCD or whatever, planning things out works for me. I think.

But so far this summer has not gone as planned AT ALL. I was all set to start a part-time job at the small liberal arts college that I attend. I lined up the babysitters. I turned in the necessary paperwork. I waited patiently for my start date. Finally, I got an email stating that MORE paperwork was needed. Unfortunately, there are numerous people that are part of the hiring process and all of them decided to go on vacation on alternating weeks. Needless to say, I still haven’t started my job. On the upside, I’ve been able to spend more time with my girls, as they are out of school for summer vacation. (Of course, this is also why I need that extra bottle of wine that isn’t on the grocery list.)

One thing I don’t plan is my writing. I try to write every day but I don’t outline, I don’t storyboard. I usually start out with a vague idea and just start typing away on the keyboard. Character names and motivations usually occur to me while I’m typing. For the most part, my little non-system in this particular arena has worked out for me. So of course, that got me thinking. If the fly by the seat of my pants technique works for me as a writer, will it work in other areas of my life too? Would my little world go to hell in a handbasket if I stopped trying to plan every last little detail? It’s something to think about. Especially when I’m laying awake in bed at 3am.

No comments:

Post a Comment