Wednesday, May 18, 2011

One Week and Counting

Wow, I can't believe it's been a week since John left for training. In some ways it seems like forever since he's been gone and in other ways it feels as if he just left yesterday. During the first 48 hours we had some limited contact via text before they took his phone and he was allowed to make a brief phone call to us on Sunday but overall communication has been severely limited. Strangely enough, I'm okay with that. Yes, I do miss him. And I'm looking forward to taking the girls on a roadtrip in July to see him. But I think the next few months will be used for self-reflection and a certain amount of solitude. Its not like I don't have plenty to keep me busy - the girls, writing, work, my friends. I've already made progress on my novel and signed up with one of the companies that used to net me alot of freelance work. Do I miss the daily interaction with the significant other in my life? Of course. After all, we never have gone more than 5 days without speaking since we started dating in 2002. And yes, I know that by him joining the military means there is the potential for us to go months or even longer without communicating. But I am taking one day at a time and putting on foot in front of the other while looking ahead - which is all anyone can do no matter where they are or who they're with.

No comments:

Post a Comment