Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Simple Things in Life

Sometimes (especially lately) I feel as if I'm being pulled in too many different directions. I realize that multi-tasking is a part of life, but I kept feeling as if I was just going through the motions and not really giving all I had to all I needed to do. Raising two girls,  working 30-40 hours a week, writing and keeping a household running are just a few of the things I have to contend with. Since hiring a butler or spending a bunch of money on a tropical vacation aren't viable options for me at this point, I had been wondering what I could do to infuse a little bit of simplicity and relaxation into my life (and hopefully make me a better parent, a stronger writer and happier employee). The answer I came up with was refreshing and slightly educational (sh, don't tell the girls) - we made a visit to a little place called Brukner Nature Center. It has multiple hiking trails, a picnic area and a wonderful facility that is home to  different types of wild animals, many of which are on display. It also has a restored cabin that was built in 1804. The girls loved learning about the animals that are native to this part of Ohio. They were in awe while looking at the log cabin and how people lived their daily lives 200 years ago - without smart phones, without television and without Nintendo Wii's or Barbies. We walked along a trail and found shady spot with a bench that overlooked a pond. Then we just sat for a while and talked - about anything and everything that popped into their heads -and therefore out of their mouths since (like most children) they don't have filters and just say whatever comes to mind. We talked about Daddy being away for military training and how much we miss him. We talked about their upcoming birthdays. Then we just sat for a while and listened to the birds and the sounds of nature surrounding us, holding hands. It was one of the most beautiful and fun afternoons we've had for a long time. And finally, for a little while at least, I relaxed.

No comments:

Post a Comment