Sunday, May 22, 2011

Redneck and All

Well, I guess it's official. I'm a redneck. And not just because I live in a little town just north of Dayton, Ohio. (I think that's where alot of the pictures from PeopleofWalmart.com are taken - just saying.) Anyway, I am a redneck because I spent most of this glorious Sunday outside. And managed to get a sunburn on the back of my neck. The girls and I took a leisurely stroll in the early afternoon to go buy the Sunday paper - I needed to make sure the world was still turning after the much anticipated Rapture. Turns out it is, whew. Anyway one of the real reasons I wanted to get the paper is for the coupons. Yes, I admit it - I sat around last night and watched "Extreme Couponing" on TLC. How do those people get all that stuff for free? And do you think that maybe if they had jobs they might not have to waste all their time cutting coupons? Now don't get me wrong, I am a fan of coupons. But who needs to buy 96 bottles of mustard,  72 bottles of soda and 100 bottles of pain reliever in one shopping trip? (Not to mention the 50 sticks of deodorant and 36 boxes of cereal and a whole plethora of processed foods.) I think it's entirely possible that we will see some of these same people on "Hoarding -Buried Alive" some day.

Ok, enough with the tangents - here is the real reason I literally have a red neck - I finally got to finish planting my sunflower seeds. (Side note: sunflowers are my all time favorite flower.) But first I had to weed the area that I had designated for this endeavor. That meant getting on my hands and knees in the hot sun with a pair of gardening gloves (okay, two pair), digging in the dirt that was full of creepy crawlies. And just for the record - I don't like creepy crawlies and other things that live in the dirt. However, sometimes you have to dig in the dirt in order to cultivate something beautiful. Hmm....in many ways I guess gardening is kind of like life - it can be unpredictable and filled with creepy crawlies but the beauty of it is well worth the effort that is put into it - red neck and all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment